OS/2 Sendmail (was: Mail store and forward gateway setup)

Marty Abrego pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:37:40 -0700

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:54:26 -0600 (CST), John Thompson wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:28:47 -0500 (EST), Wilson Rook wrote:

>>Even if you can not block relay outright, could you filter for approved
>>IP address and valid local domains?
>
>In linux there is a nice package called "tcp_wrappers" that does this:
>instead of inetd invoking the requested service directly it calls the
>tcp_wrapper program, which compares the requesting address with a list of
>approved/denied addresses and either invokes the requested service or
>refuses the connection. This isn't perfect; it is still subject to
>breaching by address spoofing and in any case, it is not usually
>recommended to have inetd start sendmail anyway as a busy mail server can
>easily get bogged down with this extra processing.  Finally, I'm not aware
>that tcp_wrappers is available for OS/2 yet anyway.

There is a similar package on Hobbes.  Look for "sinetd10.zip" --
Super Inetd.  I've not yet used it, but it looks like it will do the
trick.

                  \\|//
  Marty Abrego    (o o)          "Anarchy does not imply mayhem."
  photon@qnet.com                                - Mr. Realtime