PMmail trap.

K.-P.Kirchdoerfer pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 08:37:03 +0100

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 23:23:22 +0100 (CET), Erik P. Olsen wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:44:01 +0100, K.-P.Kirchdoerfer wrote:
>
>>>I take it that you have an UK-English Warp on top of which you have added
>>>this US-English wr08424.
>>
>>The '0' signals a language independend fix-package; installing such
>>packages over the existing is supported by IBM; installing
>>language-depended packages may work (and does in most cases), but is
>>not supported by IBM. This becomes on the other hand bogus, since IBM
>>announced the withdrawal of support for Warp 3 based products - the
>>one's I use...
>
>Interesting, does this mean that I can install any US-English fixpak upon
>my UK-English Warp?  For example FP12 that does not exist in an
>UK-English version?
>
>Not that I don't believe you, but where do you find that sort of
>information?

I have to admit, I didn't know, where I've read that long time ago.

Today I found a news message from Irv Spalten in comp.os.os2.misc, a
member of the Fixpack team at IBM, which is a somewhat official
clarification and explanation (phew, this one saved me just in time
from being accused to throw FUD :)).

Here it goes:
"US FP's are applicable to ALL NLV versions. The 'risk' you run is
basically MRI (messages) we now appear in English if any were
included
in the FP, and possible code page changes. For UK, this would be a
very
small inconvienence, but for other languages, it could be a
significant
change. You can alway use the US FP until the NLV is available, and
then
backout the US and apply the NLV. We do NOT change content (even if
problems are found in the US FP) when we release an NLV FP, it is the
same, except for the MRI and codepages, that appears in the US (DBCS
of
course have the 'extra' stuff, as well as the BIDI countries).

Any FP that has a '_' or '0' as the third character of the name is
considered 'generic' and can be applied to an NLV version. If there
is
ANY other character there, it can ONLY be applied to system that have
the same corresponding character in the 3rd position of the
appropriate
SYSLEVEL.XXX file."

regards kp
--
K.P.Kirchdoerfer                      Voice:   +49 431 15479
24116 Kiel                            E-Mail: kapeka@wild-ki.netzservice.de

Extrapyramidal symptoms, manifested primarily as acute dystonic reactions, occur in
approximately 1 in 500 patients treated with the usual adult dosages of 30-40 mg/day
of metoclopramide.