Colored Backgrounds

Anders Gjerløv pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:07:51 +0100

>I rather doubt if the "community" to which you refer exist any more. For the moment at
>any rate Microsoft at rules whether or not we think it is OK.
I respectfully disagree. Microsoft (thankfully) does not set Internet
standards. They may be trying to twist them, but they are not defining
the way the internet is working (yet *shudder*)

>I regularly send it e-mail so with a attachments of a few hundred K , (OK, so you try to
>trying to teach your clients to use FTP ...), and I strongly suspect that the bandwidth
>consumed by attachments vastly exceeds that consumed by the HTML overhead.
Ever had to send to someone who downloads over a mobile phone at
9.6!?!?!? Obviously not!! Next time how about:

"Dear Sir,

The document you requested can be downloaded from:

http://www.server.somewhere/client/document.pdf (pdf format)

or

http://www.server.somewhere/client/document.doc (Microsoft Word 97
format)

Sincerely,"

This works quickly even from a mobile phone, and is in most cases
better than attachments (imho)

>>Even when we do get there, just because you have lots of something
>>doesn't mean it's wise to squander it. Efficiency is better.
>Not sure about that. Hygiene would probably be adequately served if I only had five
>centimetres of water in my bath but there's no shortage of water so why shouldn't I have
>a good wallow ...
Ehh - on what planet? Seriously! The freshwater situation in the world
today is not nearly enough to give every human being enough water for
hygiene, cooking etc. So why should we deliberatly *waste* water in the
"rich" world, and thereby take some precios water from the "poor"
world? (replace bandwith with water. The argument works on both. Except
that thousands of people die every year because of the first of course
:-/)

Using as little bandwith as is absolutly possible is a good thing, as
it opens the freeway for when you _really_ need it. You might try
asking your ISP how much spammail he filters daily, and ask what impact
it would have on your ability to fetch mail if he didn't.

Regards,
Anders