Colored Backgrounds

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:05:49 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:26:12, Brian Morrison wrote:

>Digital TV is subjectively worse than analogue for picture quality
>*now*. Wait and see what happens when more channels are squeezed into
>the multiplexes.

FWIW, I disagree with this, though I do agree it's no good to 'switch
off' the analogue transmitters before everyone has migrated (at their
own pace) to digital receivers -- if the digital system requires new
receivers.

I have a satellite dish and it has a "SDTV" (Super Definition TV)
test channel. "SDTV" by my sat company's definition is a "normal"
signal that has never been degraded by NTSC conversion. It is an
entirely digital signal from original film/tapes whatever. It looks
DAMN good. Also, they operate a Pay Per View service for movies, most
of which are broadcast in this "SDTV" format. I haven't ordered any
yet but if they're as good as the test channel, I'd say that digital
TV is subjectively MUCH better than regular TV picture quality right
now. I have a Bell Expressvu system.

 Trevor Smith          | We've got a blind date with destiny,
 trevor@haligonian.com | and it looks like she's ordered
 www.haligonian.com    | the lobster.         - The Shoveler