In the beginning...

John Angelico pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:17:21 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:14:00 -0500 (EST), Rodney R. Korte wrote:

>>The first printed electronic messages were all upper case and no
>>punctuation.
>
>Of course, in relation to the message size argument that is the
>reason for complaints of HTML use in email, the actual size of a
>message written with all caps is EXACTLY the same as the size of
>a message written with mixed case.

And remember that all upper case represented a regression from real
life ie computers were NOT doing what we would normally do as real
people.

Therefore when proper case, punctuation etc was added to computing
capabilities, it was a restoration to a level which truly WAS
intuitive and natural.

The next step to richly formatted text a la desktop publishing (and
now Adobe PDF) similarly matched a readily understood physical life
paradigm - the printed book/brochure/presentation etc BUT ONLY for
largish documents, not for mail.

In the case of email DTP-style embellishments do not match real life
mail - therefore I contend that HTML or similar enhancements to email
are more easily seen as "just techno-geeks playing with their
expensive toys"

If some people do it some times on special occasions, OK, but not for
everything.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
Melbourne PC User Group Inc.
Email: talldad@melbpc.org.au or talldad@kepl.com.au

PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
... WYTYSYDG = What You Thought You Saw, You Didn't Get