Wish List Another Beginning

John Thompson pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:41:41 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:28:57 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> I don't even want to go into how java "works" (I can't bring myself to
>> say "runs") on the 486sx25...

>Well, of course, JAVA sucks.  Which is why it should die a long, slow,
>painful death in the pits of Hades.

Java may suck, but the main thing it sucks is cpu resources.  If you throw
enough processor power at it, it isn't bad.  I still prefer native
programs, but since PMMAIL isn't available in a native linux form
(yet...we can hope) I have been looking further afield.

>> Maybe[a PII-350 128MB RAM machine is overkill] for a single user,
>> but we routinely have three users logged into
>> that linux box doing work at the same time.  Get a couple instances of
>> StarOffice/Netscape/compilers/etc. all running at the same time and you
>> start to appreciate having a little extra processor power and memory.

>    *blink, blink*  Exported X sessions?

Yes.  Using XFree86-OS/2.

Why?

John (john.thompson@attglobal.net)