Fwd: Re: formatting and addresses - Hodges

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:37:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:32:49 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>>The qualification states to me the normal internet standard: be
>>conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you receive.  Normal
>>stability requirements.
>>
>Well, yes and no. While it is desireable to minimize
>traffic on any network to what is needed, the bandwidth
>on the Net is so gigantic relative to 1000 byte segment
>that it is truly inconsequential, and, I'm rather sure,
>traffic minimization was not the purpose of the
>standard.

I never said anything about traffic.  I didn't say conserve
*bandwidth*.  If you want a rewrite of the otherwise popular saying, it
would be, "Adhere strongly to the standards in what you send, but be
lax when receiving."  This is what "be conservative in what you send,
and liberal in what you receive" means.