Netscape integration (or whither Southsoft ?)

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:13:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 06:50:56 +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:

>Small ? Yes.
>Fast ? No. It is ridiculous slow on my 333 K6-2 CPU. I'm speaking about
>the Win version, not OS/2.
>Outlook Express, the application you hate so much, is *really* faster
>when comparing to PMMail.
>Fact, not opinion.

PMMail/2 works quickly here on my PII-333 although I haven't used the
Windows version.

>>OS/2 continues to improve,
>
>I still have Warp 4 on a partition and the only improvement I can see
>are new bugs introduced with every new fixpak (see the last MIDI.SYS
>problem on fixpak 11, read warpcast #122).
>The improvement was so great that I am no more able to use few DOS apps
>since fixpak 6 or 7 (DOS apps that uses .WAVs).

I'm currently using Warp4+FP10 and I've found that my systems have
generally gotten quicker and more stable with each release.  We
regularly run OS/2, Windows, Java and DOS on these systems.  I've found
the FixPak installations to be extremely smooth and relatively bug
free.  I have never installed a FixPak that didn't fix a lot more
problems than new ones created.  I have not found any Windows Updates
to be without faults either.  Of course, OS/2 Updates are free, while
MS charges dearly for certain bug fixes (e.g. Win95->Win98).

>>You're here on the PMMail list and *seriously* comparing Outlook to
>>PMMail? Get lost.
>
>Seems you never [seriously] used (or evaluated) Outlook Express.
>Like it or not, it *is* a good mail client and it's free, ready-to-use.

Personally, I appreciate reading about other email software on this
mailing list.  I've used six or seven and have never found the perfect
one, but I appreciate knowing what's out there for me to try next. <g>

>Try
>installing OS/2 from scratch and 5 minutes after install check for your
>mail. Can you ? I personally cannot. Must use (buy) InJoy. Must use
>Netscape or use (buy) PMMail.

Why do you need InJoy?  OS/2 has a dialer included (yes, it sucks but
it does work and it's free and there are shareware dialers available
$15-20).  Also, if you install OS/2 from scratch and download Netscape,
then you can check your email immediately after setting up the program
- just like any other mailer.  And if it takes 10 minutes instead of 5
minutes, who cares?  I personally prefer to work on OS/2 systems
instead of Win9x systems and the extra 5 minutes is worth the added
investment.

There are also several OS/2 and Java shareware email programs to
choose from as well.

Ralph Cohen
rpcohen@neurotron.com