Netscape integration (or whither Southsoft ?)

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:16:59 +0100

On Mon, 05 Jul 99 09:43:14, John Drabik wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:44:56 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
>
>>>Just what is going on with this outfit?
>>You mention promised updates but, it to be honest, it is difficult to see the commercial
rationale
>>for such work. I use the Windows version of PMmail because I originally used OS/2 but
when
>>IBM abandoned the desktop to Microsoft I had no alternative but to move NT. I continued to
>>use PMmail because I was familiar with it and it does everything I want but I have never
come
>>across a anybody this using the mailer  who hadn't migrated from OS/2.
>
>Personally, I've found plenty of "alternative" to NT, since NT is so
>bloated, slow, and incompatible.  If that is the kind of software
>that you like, then why are you concerned about PMMail (small, fast,
>and adheres to standards)?  MOVE ON.
>
>Yet-another-Doze-lover spilling puke about "OS/2 is dead".  If it's
>dead for you, then fine.  In the meantime, there are many people here
>who still use it.  Just because you allowed yourself to be sucked in
>with the pablum lovers, please don't assume that everybody is as
>weak-minded.

Thanks you for your well thought out, closely reasoned, and courteous response to my posting .
It has certainly opened my eyes.

After some years of using OS/2  followed by some years of using NT  I have obviously deluded
myself into believing that NT is a stable and highly usable operating system. Perhaps fortunately
for me very large numbers of people are labouring under the same delusion which enables me to
exchange data with people using a whole range of applications which run on NT and related
operating systems. I am also very lucky in that hundreds of deluded software houses continue to
pour out an ever increasing range of applications designed to run on this "bloated, slow, and
incompatible" operating system.

>OS/2 continues to improve, work is still being done, and new versions
>released, the performance is better than NT (by light years), the
>operational cost is far lower, and OS/2 doesn't trap you in the
>"standards du jour" crapola from Microsoft - a company that still, in
>my opinion, has never successfully engineered ANY operating system.

This certainly speaks volumes for Bob and Icon in that not only have they produced a version of
their excellent Mailer which will run on this pathetic operating system but PMmail  obviously
has the effect of stabilising and speeding up this unsuccessful operating system.

I was interested to learn that new versions of  OS/2 are being released. No doubt also hundreds
of software houses are pouring out new applications; it can only be a that, brainwashed by
Gates, I have simply failed to notice this.

>DOS?  Hah.  Doze? It IS DOS, and just as bad.  NT?  Not There.  2000?
> Yeah, right.

Forgive me but I am having a bit of difficulty in understanding this. Perhaps it is some code that
only runs on the latest versions of OS/2?

>>Microsoft operating systems come with a perfectly serviceable mail client; I don't like it but
>>then I don't like anything that isn't PMmail.
>
>Their "perfectly serviceable mail client" is a piece of bogus garbage
>that doesn't follow standards.  It is error prone, subject to
>crashes, and invites viruses in faster than a Las Vegas hooker.
>You're here on the PMMail list and *seriously* comparing Outlook to
>PMMail?  Get lost.

There seem to be other people of this list it who are also labouring under the delusion that
Outlook Express is a "perfectly serviceable mail client". May be there is a virus which Microsoft
have engineered which is responsible for this delusion? (No, that can't be right; you have already
pointed out that Microsoft can't engineer anything.)

>>The list seems to be mostly populated by users of OS/2 who, however much they might wish
>>it was otherwise,  are  an ever decreasing group.
>
>I have yet to see evidence of this, nothing other than the wishful
>dreams of Dozers.

How could I have been so blind? Millions of users of Microsoft operating systems burning their
CDs and rushing to install OS/2. This is obviously why I haven't seen a copy of Warp 4, (sorry
forgot that there were new versions - is it Warp 9 now?), in any software store for years.

>>I think if I was Bob or Icon I would be looking to do things other than write mail clients for an
>>operating system that is effectively history or trying to complete with products that are being
>>given away in the only desktop market there is .
>
>Then what the hell are you doing here?  Oh, I see - you haven't
>figured out how to unsubscribe.  Maybe Bob and Icon believe in a
>quality product.  I've been using PMMail for years, without
>complaint.  Pablum suckers don't understand that.>

Oh dear, I have done it again. I thought this list also for discussing both the OS/2 version of
PMmail and the version that runs on the "bloated, slow, and incompatible" operating system of. I
have to agree with you when you say that Bob and Icon probably believe in a quality product and
like you I have been using PMmail for years without complaint.

Now that you have shown me the error of my ways all that remains is to go out and buy a copy of
Warp 10 so that I can legitimately participate in discussions on this list

>As Microsoft shills go, you've barely registered on the entertainment
>meter.

I have to confess that I don't know what a "Microsoft shill"  is but I have obviously failed in this
area as well - maybe I should just give up computing and enter a monastery ...

David