PMMail/2 and Broken Telephone Connectinons

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:18:46 -0700, Marty Abrego wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:59:52 -0700, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>>>Unfortunately I got a somewhat similar cavalier
>>>response when I twice complained about this over
>>>a year ago.  I was told that this was a limitation
>>>of the TCP/IP stack in OS/2...  Clearly this needs
>>>to be addressed and I quite agree with you that it
>>>is hard to recommend a package that does not handle
>>>this problem appropriately.
>
>Strange... I just tested this by emailing myself a file with a
>sizable attachment (so I have time to break the connection).  After I
>started retrieving it, I let it reach 10% and then pulled the plug on
>the DSL modem.  After 30 seconds, or so, I plugged it back in.  After
>about 30 more seconds, PM Mail picked up where it left off -- no
>problem at all.

C'mon people, get a clue.  Learn about TCP/IP and your connections.
It's not that difficult.

Sure, if you have a static IP address or happen to get the same
IP address when you dial in the second time, PMMail will pick up
where it left off, assuming the server didn't get a client-closed
timeout from it's tcp stack.

On the other hand, if you get a different IP address when you
dial in the second time (ever heard of dynamic addressing with
SL/IP and PPP?), you have a snowball's chance in hell of PMMail
continuing its download.

What PMMail needs is a "Stop the current connection(s), and try
again."  IT DOES NOT DO THIS RELIABLY IN THE CURRENT VERSION
(OS/2 2.00.1500).  (For the technical, close all current sockets
and restart- don't wait for recv() to timeout.)

This is all true, regardless of the comments of those who
claim "Hey, you're wrong, it works."  NO IT DOESN'T.
--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.