PMMail/2 and Broken Telephone Connectinons

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:07:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:18:46 -0700, Marty Abrego wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:59:52 -0700, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>>>Unfortunately I got a somewhat similar cavalier
>>>response when I twice complained about this over
>>>a year ago.  I was told that this was a limitation
>>>of the TCP/IP stack in OS/2...  Clearly this needs
>>>to be addressed and I quite agree with you that it
>>>is hard to recommend a package that does not handle
>>>this problem appropriately.
>
>Strange... I just tested this by emailing myself a file with a
>sizable attachment (so I have time to break the connection).  After I
>started retrieving it, I let it reach 10% and then pulled the plug on
>the DSL modem.  After 30 seconds, or so, I plugged it back in.  After
>about 30 more seconds, PM Mail picked up where it left off -- no
>problem at all.

Warning: if you get the same IP address, it should work.  If you get a
different IP address, it should *not* work.  The connection can't be
"reestablished" if your IP address changes, it needs to restart.
PMMail probably shouldn't need to shut-down and restart itself, but I
can't see it picking up where it left off after an address change.