PMMail/2 and Broken Telephone Connectinons

Marty Abrego pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:18:46 -0700

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:59:52 -0700, Chris Adams wrote:

>>Unfortunately I got a somewhat similar cavalier
>>response when I twice complained about this over
>>a year ago.  I was told that this was a limitation
>>of the TCP/IP stack in OS/2...  Clearly this needs
>>to be addressed and I quite agree with you that it
>>is hard to recommend a package that does not handle
>>this problem appropriately.

Strange... I just tested this by emailing myself a file with a
sizable attachment (so I have time to break the connection).  After I
started retrieving it, I let it reach 10% and then pulled the plug on
the DSL modem.  After 30 seconds, or so, I plugged it back in.  After
about 30 more seconds, PM Mail picked up where it left off -- no
problem at all.

>>My second big gripe is that many of the timeconsuming
>>processes in PMMail/2, e.g, sorting messages, sorting
>>newsgroups etc are not spun off in separate threads
>>and hence hog the message queue on slower computers.
>>I am using a 90 MHz Pentium equivalent and frequently
>>have to sit and stare at my computer while PMMail is
>>doing something instead of being able to do something
>>in another application while PMMail/2 is working.  We
>>are not talking seconds here, we are talking several
>>*minutes*!  Not acceptable as well.
>
>I get the same thing with dual P133s. Their code for
>displaying large folders is simplistic and both the
>windows and OS/2 versions are really heavily tied to
>the native GUI's performance. On a PII 350, it takes ~20
>seconds to display a 150K email and it still takes awhile
>to display folders with lots of messages.

Hhhmm... Not a problem here.  On an old Cyrix 6x86 PR200, PM Mail
starts quickly, snaps open messages and snaps open folders with more
than 300 messages in about half a second.

I *am* using PM Mail v1.96, not the new Doze<-->Warp thing.  Perhaps
that explains it -- the new code is largely common between platforms,
but isn't as *good*.  If that's true, I'll stick with v1.96 -- if I
really need HTML, I can always launch Netscape from PM Mail.

                  \\|//
  Marty Abrego    (o o)    "Bases are better covered than asses."
  photon@qnet.com                                - Mr. Realtime