PMMail/2 and Broken Telephone Connectinons

Bruce Francis pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:04:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:59:52 -0700, Chris Adams wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:27:07 -0500, Agents wrote:
>>My second big gripe is that many of the timeconsuming processes in PMMail/2, e.g, sorting messages,
sorting newsgroups
>>etc are not spun off in separate threads and hence hog the message queue on slower computers.  I am
using a 90 MHz
>>Pentium equivalent and frequently have to sit and stare at my computer while PMMail is doing
something instead of being
>>able to do something in another application while PMMail/2 is working.  We are not talking seconds
here, we are talking
>>several *minutes*!  Not acceptable as well.
>
>I get the same thing with dual P133s. Their code for displaying large
>folders is simplistic and both the windows and OS/2 versions are really
>heavily tied to the native GUI's performance. On a PII 350, it takes ~20
>seconds to display a 150K email and it still takes awhile to display
>folders with lots of messages.

I have a very similar problem here -- I am saving about 3 days' worth
(was trying to save 7, until I ran into this) of discarded messages in the
Trash folder.  I subscribe to some rather large email lists, and occassionally
go thru them and delete undesired topics en-masse by subject.  When I
try to close down PMMail/2, the window closes but it continues "processing"
(apparently examing discarded messages and moving them to the Trash
folder) disk activity.  There is disk activity every second (or 2/sec), which
is very slow on the whole.  It's very clear that this is not happening in a
separate thread, as I have PMMail set to query for new mail every few
minutes and this query will cause InJoy to redial to the ISP.

I wonder if SouthSoft is actually moving the files to the Trash by using
copy|delete APIs, as opposed to move (which just changes the directory
entry for the file, but does not force nearly as much file activity) .....

Whatever, it's rather painful here (and forced me to limit my Trash folder
size, but it is still a problem whenever I do a lot of mass-deletes).

---
Bruce Francis              BFrancis@pobox.com
 For PGP Public key:  email with Subject "BFrancis Public Key"