Attachments

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:13:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:01:08 -0500 (CDT), S Zaveloff wrote:

>Someone sent me a message with an attached Excel file. The
>problem is that the file name is in Japanese and begins with an
>escape charachter. PMMAIL/2 (OS/2 version) will not let me
>save the attachment because of this. I tried to forward the
>message to myself so that I could open it in my Japanese OS
>but this doesn't work either.
>
>Is there someway to rename the attachment so that I can save
>it to my hard disk?

I have seen some responses with complex solutions to renaming a message
attachment that includes editing the message that has the attachment.
PMMail/2 provides a simple solution to renaming message attachments. Any
time you attempt to view an attachment in PMMail, PMMail decodes and saves
the file to a temporary working directory with the file name contained in
the message. If the attachment name is incompatible, PMMail cannot
complete this operation and gives an error message. You can perform a
similar operation while renaming the attachment.

1. Open the message with the attachment.
2. RMB on the icon in the attachment window (or press CTRL+ALT+S)
3. If RMB, select "Save As" from the popup window.
4. File system window will appear. Type new name in the file name area and
if you wish select directory to save decoded attachment into. I recommend
keeping "xls" extension.
5. Load saved file into Excel. You're done.

--
ATB,
/s/~Kris