A few things I'd like to see fixed (or added)

Robb Selby pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:21:46 -0500 (CDT)

While we are talking about "fixes" or wish lists:  (and if they break
compatability, then let's just drop them, PLEASE)

I'd like to see fixed.  (PMMail/2): (most of these I HAVE sent to Bob)

1. Add to address book from the preview pane (you currently have to open
the note to get it to work) even though the menu item is there in preview
pane.

2. Do a search on notes.  You get your list.  If you open the note from
that list, then if the note happened to be HTML, it is shown in raw HTML
instead of the nicely fixed up note you get regularly.

3. If you have a folder that is used purely as an SMTP retrieval folder
from one account to another, you have to reindex that folder to get it to
show no messages.  That is fine.  However, if you do not actually have
the folder selected, but rather do a MB2 click on the folder and select
reindex, the reindexing occurs, but the folder never changes colors back
to empty.  You have to then go change something in the setting of the
folder, anything, to get the folder to change to empty color.

One thing that would make this nicer even is if "reindex" folder were an
option in filtering so you could reindex (without the popups) when
something lands in a folder.  (I know, this could be very annoying and
time consuming if used wrong).  Just something that would be nice JUST
FOR ME, so I wouldn't expect it to be of any priority whatsoever.
Another thing that would be nice would be to transfer a message from one
account to another with a filter, but you can do this with an SMTP
retrieval, so it is livable as is.

4. Currently, the sound played for all messages plays fine when all mail
comes in (albeit that I'd personally like to be able to tell it NOT to
play if a filter already plays a sound so I don't have to hear both).
However, if a sound plays, and is not just a short wav, then it appears
to play in a different way so that if you happen to be doing "almost"
anything else with PMMail like opening a message, it will hang the
retrieval of messages completely on that mail item until you shutdown and
restart PMMail.  The normal sound is played in a way that it is
interruptable by an action in PMMail, but any other "play" sounds from a
filter is not treated the same way and really can screw things up.  When
I was coding, I think this had to do with how things were threaded, but
don't jump on me if this isn't the case.  I just want the hang fixed.

5. If you have the preview pane on, and you open help, then click on the
Search button and
with the search menu still up, go and change the displayed message in the
main window,
change folders, whatever, the preview pane will never get updated until
you go close the Search menu.

6. If you move the message to another folder that happens to be the
message
in the preview pane, the message stays displayed though another message
is selected.

7.

Not a fix, but a "wish list" items:

1. In the filters list, it currently shows you if a filter is active or
not.  I'd like to see an indicator if a filter is manual or not (since
this adds to the Apply filters popup list.  When you first set up filters
I typically set them as manual to test them.  Then if you don't remember
to immediately go change things once it is working, you have to bring up
the popup for Apply Manual Filters, and then go open filters (since you
can't do both at the same time), and go change the filter. You cannot do
this while the filters list is open, since you can't go get the popup
while the filters list is open.

2. The ability to do a "Find/Browse" on a wav file in settings or filters
by bringing up the standard File dialog rather than having to remember
the full path and filename to the file and type it in.

3. When attachments come in with long filenames and you happen to have
PMMail on a FAT partition so you can use it in both Windows and OS/2,
then you cannot open that attachment without first saving to another
name, then going and opening it where you saved it.  It would be nice if
you could specify the temporary directory where attachments are opened,
in a directory on an HTML partition so there would be no error when you
try to open it.

I certainly do NOT wish to start some major controversy with this.  I
just thought I'd mention them since a beta is being tested.

4. The ability to select from a menu the standard "Edit" menu items, cut
in particular and select all, while in the preview pane. You can use the
standard Ctrl+Ins to copy something, but a menu item would be nice.
Select all, with Ctrl+/ does not select the whole message, but rather
selects all of the messages in the list, regardless of whether the focus
was in the message list or in the message preview.

No one is EVER listening until you make a mistake.
---
Robb Selby              \\\\\\\                Oooo
robbselby@earthlink.net ( o o )           oooO(    )