Ugh! He wants another list change!

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:29:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:52:36 -0700 (PDT), Paul Wiener wrote:

>I hate to suggest another change, for the sake of filter simplicity and
>stability,, could you make the list's address (and of course, "Reply-to:"
>header) "pmmail-l@rpglink.com" instead of "pmmail@rpglink.com?" That way, as
>long as the list name stays the same, my filter should work through future
>host changes. If I just look for "PMMail" alone, I'll catch too much.

Placement in the Filter list is as important as what is filtered. What if
you had two lists using 'pmmail-l'? The same principles would apply. The
more specific the filter the less chance for unintended consequences but
the greater chance that a change will break the filter. The more general
the filter the greater the chance for unintended consequences but the less
likely the filter will break. If you have stable working filters using
'pmmail' then place your more general 'pmmail@' filter after them. That
filter would only grab any remaining messages using 'pmmail'. Also high
volume message filters should be earlier in the Filter list. My incoming
filter list filters subscribed lists first in order of volume, then
personal mail from expected senders, then unexpected messages addressed to
me. Everything else is junk.

I suggest updating your filter for 'pmmail@rpglink.com' then create a
folder and filter for 'pmmail@' that is placed after your specific
filters. If any of your specific filters break, the messages will go to
this holding folder.

--
ATB,
/s/~Kris