PMMail won't connect to this ISP's servers

Paul Wiener pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:20:18 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:42:33 -0700 (PDT), Paul Wiener wrote:
>
>>Have you tried (just as an experiment) entering IP addresses instead
>>of host names for the pop and smtp servers? The ip addresses for you pop and
>>smtp hosts are both 194.75.152.209.
>

>Hey, that's fixed it! Very many thanks.

You should regard that as a temporary fix. Otherwise, things will fail again
if your ISP remaps the mail host.

>Out of curiosity and how could it be that when the host name is sent by Outlook Express the IP
>address is correctly resolved but not when it is sent from my copy of PMmail? What makes it
>even stranger is that it works correctly for Peter. Don't think it could be an operating system
>thing because it appears that both of us are using NT.

Are you sure that PMMail failed and Outlook Express worked in the *same*
session? Otherwise, I'd suspect you're using different dialers when starting
the two programs, one of which has DNS configured correctly and one of which
doesn't.

>Like I said, never really did understand these computer thingies...
>
>Thanks again,

Don't mention about it!
--
"Paul Wiener" <paulish@paulish.com>