Double Byte -- Also, PMMAIL2

Paul Hodges pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:54:24 +0100

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:25:33 -0400 (EDT), Norm wrote:

>  Does a 'regular' double-left click (using the LMB) cause the same
>  results?

Of course not!  Looking through my records I find that I have a
similar problem (using MSE) with PMView 2 beta, and the (PMView)
author's analysis shows that the MSE simulation of the double click
is not exact, but that the failure occurs within OS/2 code which he
happens to call.  Clearly this failure occurs in little-used code, as
so few programs have a problem - the only other one widely reported
to have it is Netscape Communicator (AFAIK).

It is worth noting that I have sent the MSE and PMMail authors the
others analyses of what is going on, and they disagree over what is
legal in the OS/2 API.  Also their analyses don't tie up with that
given by the PMView author.

I suspect that different mouse enhancers capture messages at
different points in the OS, which is why only some (few) work with
Win-OS2 and some cause the cursor to jump around inconveniently
(which is why I don't like X-it); clearly no two of them manage to do
the same thing!  This API must be much cleaner in NT because a single
mouse enhancer (Clicker) just /works/ under all circumstances, and so
has had no competitor (except the recent version of the Logitech
mouse driver which now runs in NT and does loads of things with the
mouse buttons).

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd