Another New Feature Request

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:21:48 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 15:16:56 -0500 (EST), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:59:13 -0800 (PST), Bill Wood wrote:
>
>>Anyway, it's irritating to me that I spend so much time
>>deleting hard returns.
>
>I agree.  I was hoping that along with the new "Paste Quoted" option a
>"Reformat Block" option would have been added since it's essentially
>the same thing (without the quote character).  Hopefully we'll see this
>in a future release.

Even if you don't want to use an external editor (as was suggested
already) I have a relatively quick workaround for this problem.
Although I rarely use it for email, I  do use it extensively when I
moderate WarpCast messages.

I use Smalled for these situations. Other text editors may have
similar functions.

With Smalled I do this:

1. select the text in question and drag and drop to Smalled (thanks
to DragText)
2. select all in Smalled (ctrl /)
3. select "Tools->Text format->Remove cr"
(this removes single carriage returns, but not double ones, ie.
paragraph separations)
4. select "Tools->Text format->Remove tabs/sp" (ctrl space)
(this changes any long strings of spaces and tabs to single spaces)
5. drag and drop the text in question back to my PMMail window
(thanks to DragText)

Regardless of the length of the text I'm reformatting I can do the
above in about 2 - 3 seconds, assuming Smalled is already open. (If
it's not already open, add another 1 - 2 seconds. <g>)

While it would be nice if PMMail had these editing options, anyone
who really finds himself reformatting hard returns frequently should
just get DragText and Smalled (look for them at BMT Micro) or some
similar editor.

 Trevor Smith          | We've got a blind date with destiny,
 trevor@haligonian.com | and it looks like she's ordered
 www.haligonian.com    | the lobster.         - The Shoveler