Another New Feature Request

James Dye pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:05:11 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:21:48 -0400 (AST), Trevor Smith wrote:

|I use Smalled for these situations. Other text editors may have
|similar functions.
|
|With Smalled I do this:
|
|1. select the text in question and drag and drop to Smalled
|(thanks to DragText) 2. select all in Smalled (ctrl /) 3. select
|"Tools->Text format->Remove cr" (this removes single carriage
|returns, but not double ones, ie. paragraph separations) 4. select
|"Tools->Text format->Remove tabs/sp" (ctrl space) (this changes
|any long strings of spaces and tabs to single spaces) 5. drag and
|drop the text in question back to my PMMail window (thanks to
|DragText)
|
|Regardless of the length of the text I'm reformatting I can do the
|above in about 2 - 3 seconds, assuming Smalled is already open.
|(If it's not already open, add another 1 - 2 seconds. <g>)

Thanks, Trevor. Although I have used SmallEd for years, I never
paid attention to this feature. Now that I have, I note that you
could cut the above times in half. SmallEd permits you to save
4 formatting setups, so that you could combine your operations
3. and 4. into one (check out Ctrl-T). Further, since you can assign
your own hotkey for any operation, this can be reduced to a single
keystroke; I have assigned Ctrl-E (for e-mail) to reformat the text
just as I wish. Since I prefer the keyboard to mousing, I use ctrl-ins,
shift-ins rather than DragText for steps 1. and 5.
Thanks again,

James Dye			E-mail:   jdye@niu.edu
Department of Philosophy		Phone:    815-756-4370
Northern Illinois University		FTP: jdye.phil.niu.edu
DeKalb, IL  60115-2854		Fax:      815-333-0586
	HTTP:	sun.soci.niu.edu/~phildept/Dye/