Another New Feature Request

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Yes. I've heard your speech about hard returns. I
really don't care that much about quoting. But
forwarded email is invariable hashed up, sometimes to
unreadability, due to layers of hard returns. Besides,
I don't see the problem with a mail client putting
quotes on soft returns as well as hard ones. Remember,
I am suggesting a new RFC and new or modified mail
software. BTW, 1-line paragraphs are great.

Reflowing imported text is not as simple as you
suggest. I've done it for years to adopt standards into
my documents and formats. Tables are gone, formatting
with spaces is converted to chaos, etc. Inevitable, I
needed to do it by hand. A one hundred page standard
was a half day's job.

w3

=================

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:01:17 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Monday, November 01, 1999, 1:50:22 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Actually, I have a more general observation. I do not see how an external
>> editor helps at all or has anything at all to do with the problem. Do I send
>> email with or without hard returns? This question is independent of editors.
>
>    Well, see, Ralph stated that he would like to see a feature where reflow
>was included in response to your rant on deleting hard returns.  Well, off the
>top of my head I know that both joe and vim reflow quite nicely.  They even do
>quoted text in a very sane manner.  Therefore PMMail gives you the option of
>using an editor which *DOES* allow for reflow and, thus, eliminates your rant
>of having to delete hard returns all the time.
>
>    BTW, hard returns are a good thing.  I really dislike having only one
>quote mark for a whole 20-line paragraph because some schmuck didn't have
>word-wrap turned on.
>
>--
>         Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
>         ICQ: 5107343          | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

w3

Bill Wood
Las Vegas, NV
wwwood@lv.rmci.net