The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Marty Abrego pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:03:24 -0700

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999 20:17:47 -0800 (PST), Steve Wendt wrote:

>>Hard returns only look good at "small" widths and get worse with
>>every quoted reply.  It puts the recipient at the mercy of not even
>
>If people followed netiquette, this wouldn't be a problem.  You're
>supposed to snip before that becomes an issue.

I agree absolutely.  Unfortunately, netiquette is about a common as
holding a door open for a lady.  I remember when SPAM was met with
universal outrage, but not anymore...

>>Seems to me that the best way to get a clean-looking email display is
>>for everyone to send mail with no hard returns except to break a
>
>This is only good if your e-mail program reflows text.  Most don't.

True, but it's a cheap feature to add.

                    \\|//
  Marty Abrego      (o o)                            photon@qnet.com

  Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are
  utterly different.  Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill
  obligations that you have assumed voluntarily.  Paying that debt can
  entail anything from years of patient work to an instant willingness
  to die.  Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

  But there is no reward at all for doing what people expect of you,
  and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible.
                                                    -- Robert Heinlein