The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:44:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:11:15 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Thursday, November 04, 1999, 5:49:51 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Ok... I can reflow with a variety of software from smalled to epm...
>> What I need to know is how to automagically get the bloody quote,
>">>", symbol to line up at the same time, in a tidy and appropriate
>> fashion for a depth of quotes...
>
>    Sure, use an editor which is programmed for that convention.  joe, vim and
>several others all do it just fine.
>
>> Where am I missing the obvious?
>
>    The obvious is using a specialized tool for the job.  That is why I don't
>want to see the PMMail editor added to.  Use an external editor that does the
>job better than the internal one ever will and free up the programmers of
>PMMail to improve the parts of PMMail that are unique to a mail client.
>Adding IMAP support, for example.

What could be a more obvious speciality for an editor in a mail program
to possess than the ability to properly reflow and format quotes?
Quite frankly, it seems somewhat odd that editors other than those in
mail programs would even have that ability - except maybe to make up
for deficiencies in various mail programs.<g>

Ralph

rpcohen@neurotron.com