Another New Feature Request

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:10:42 -0800 (PST)

It is a term coming into common usage in the ANSI
world. See, for example, the ANSI X3.XXX Fibre Channel
specification (zb, X3.230 defines the FC physical
layer). The limited definition of the 'fabric' is that
it is the "entity" that interconnects ports on a
network and is capable of routing frames.

The more general definition that applies to technical
discussions among system types is that the fabric is
the sum total of the specifications, protocols,
hardware, software, and their configurations, that
define the interfaces, operation and performance of the
network in question. I kinda like it. It requires a
comprehensive overview of the complete network
environment.

w3

========================

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 22:20:54 +0100 (MEZ), Alexander
Sarras wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:49:32 -0800 (PST), Bill Wood wrote:
>
>> fabric of the network.
>
>Pray tell, what's that?
>SaS
>--