Another New Feature Request

Ray pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:26:58 -0500 (EST)

Bill Wood wrote:

>Rules and tools for the masses should be built in to
>the fabric of the network. Most people simply don't
>have the time, knowledge or interest.

Look I think Steve is pompous and creates an atmosphere where
pointless and useless OT discussions are encouraged, especially
if he can preach about something.  I don't think it brings out
the best in subscribers.  But in this case I think you're letting
his noisome behavior obscure the truth.  At this point I'm not
real sure what you're after, but basically you don't want hard
returns imbedded in outgoing mails, correct?  Think about it, and
I think you'll see there really isn't much choice.

Is your frustration actually with PMMail, which when it saves
messages mid-composition, inserts the hard returns?  If so then
the solution is indeed to use a better text editor.  I use
XyWrite along with an add-in which allows stripping and inserting
hard returns in defined text, or a file, with a keystroke.

And the truth is, if you know how to manipulate hard returns
intelligently, you can get some impressive-looking plain text.
So for example, I could quote something:

     And have it appear indented both
     ways, and it will look like text on
     a printed page!  And all because of
     the miracle of hard returns!

               Hell, I could do it the other side if I
               please as well.  So just to repeat the
               same point ad nauseum, "hard returns are
               your friends."

-Ray Tennenbaum