Another New Feature Request

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:29:44 -0800 (PST)

I don't want to belabor this ad nauseum, but one final
time ...

HRts define formatting more than anything else,
particularly in plain text. If you specifically want
them there to format a table, delimit paragraphs, or
anything else. Fine. They are your friend.

But, I do not wish any software to automatically add
some anywhere else. For local use, I couldn't care
less. But if the modified text is forwarded, or
published, then invariably it generates chaos.

Current apps (and maybe standards) do not preserve text
as written, and I think that should be changed.

And, th th that's all folks ...

w3

========================

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:26:58 -0500 (EST), Ray wrote:

>Bill Wood wrote:
>
>>Rules and tools for the masses should be built in to
>>the fabric of the network. Most people simply don't
>>have the time, knowledge or interest.
>
>Look I think Steve is pompous and creates an atmosphere where
>pointless and useless OT discussions are encouraged, especially
>if he can preach about something.  I don't think it brings out
>the best in subscribers.  But in this case I think you're letting
>his noisome behavior obscure the truth.  At this point I'm not
>real sure what you're after, but basically you don't want hard
>returns imbedded in outgoing mails, correct?  Think about it, and
>I think you'll see there really isn't much choice.
>
>Is your frustration actually with PMMail, which when it saves
>messages mid-composition, inserts the hard returns?  If so then
>the solution is indeed to use a better text editor.  I use
>XyWrite along with an add-in which allows stripping and inserting
>hard returns in defined text, or a file, with a keystroke.
>
>And the truth is, if you know how to manipulate hard returns
>intelligently, you can get some impressive-looking plain text.
>So for example, I could quote something:
>
>     And have it appear indented both
>     ways, and it will look like text on
>     a printed page!  And all because of
>     the miracle of hard returns!
>
>               Hell, I could do it the other side if I
>               please as well.  So just to repeat the
>               same point ad nauseum, "hard returns are
>               your friends."
>

>-Ray Tennenbaum

w3

Bill Wood