Fwd: Voluntary Initiative to Pay for "Free" Updates to PMMail

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:22:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

This evening I sent the following message to the PMMail 98 and PMMail/2
support reps as a formal request for a response to the pledge efforts
made by this group over this past weekend.

Ralph
rpcohen@neurotron.com

Dear Jimmy and Trevor,

As you know from my earlier correspondence with you both, there is
tremendous interest on the part of the members of the unofficial PMMail
mailing list about the release of the updates for PMMail/2 and PMMail
98 which have been promised since January.  This past Friday, as part
of a thread on the list discussing the latest (September) missed
deadline for the release, several people mentioned that they would even
be willing to pay Southsoft for the long delayed "free update" for
PMMail/2 and PMMail 98 so long as the update is released without
further delay.  Over the course of the weekend, a total of thirty-two
of us pledged to pay Southsoft almost $1000 providing the updates are
released no later than noon (EDT) Friday, Oct. 15.  We are making this
offer in order to demonstrate to Southsoft that there is a core of
users who recognize the value of its PMMail products and who want to
encourage future development.  (Also, we'd just like to get the updates
released!)

On behalf of this group and all PMMail users, I ask that you notify Bob
and Ike about this voluntary payment initiative and request their
immediate response.  There are still a lot of loyal PMMail users out
here who are willing to put their money where their mouths are to
demonstrate their continuing commitment to Southsoft and PMMail.  It is
our hope that Bob and Ike will respect us and our commitment and
release updates PMMail/2 and PMMail 98 as quickly as possible.  A
statement on the future direction of PMMail - if any - would also be
appreciated by everyone.

Thank-you,

Ralph Cohen
rpcohen@neurotron.com

P.S.  There has also been considerable interest express for a PMMail
Linux client for which people have indicated they'd be willing to pay
between $40 and $100.  There has never been any indication from
Southsoft that they would produce Linux version of PMMail, but they
should know that there are Linux users who recognize the insufficiency
of current Linux email client and would willingly pay for a quality
application like PMMail.