The OS/2 hoopla.

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:29:34 -0700

Tuesday, October 19, 1999, 3:17:48 PM, Alexander wrote:
> As usual you deliberatly misunderstand ;->

    Quite untrue.  What you're talking about is an industry standard.  What I
am talking about is transferring the announced promises and timelines of a
product from one manufacturer to another.

    A better "car" analogy would be, then, that Ford promised to tool its
Escort line to beat the Dodge Viper, hands down, and do so while keeping it at
the same cost as the Escort now.  Then it sold that line to, say, GM.  GM then
releases a "new" Escort which is just a minor upgrade to the same old econobox
as always.

    Who would you be pissed at?  GM for releasing something that wasn't in
line that Ford made promises of?  Does that seem quite fair since GM never
said they would produce what Ford promised or continuing on the line as it had
without making any promises itself.

     Let's not forget that shortly before this release everyone was pledging
*cash* and making it quite clear they wanted a release *NOW* in its current
state.

    Pardon me if I have little or no sympathy for people who got what they
asked for and are rude enough to be blasting a company for promises it never
made.