What's in it for BSW?

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:39:24 +0100

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:27:16 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>Good software will always have its place, and there will always be
>people prepared to pay for what they perceive as an edge.

The question is whether there are *enough* people who are  prepared to
pay for a mail client on an operating system with a declining number of
users or and on an operating system where satisfactory mail software is
provided free.

Bob and Icon evidently thought not.

If everybody on this  list was prepared to pay 40 dollars for a new version
of PMMail it wouldn't pay for the development

>We all use OS/2, that has its costs too, but we have all been prepared
>to pay.

Actually I use NT and was quite happy with PMMail the way it was.

>For me PMMail is so powerful in comparison with even flagship
>software like Outlook 98 (or 2000 which I haven't seen yet) that I will
>pay for new versions, and be especially pleased if a Linux version
>became available even if I have to pay for that.

If I didn't agree that PMmail mail is much more powerful than Outlook I
wouldn't be using it but I have never come across anybody using PMmail
98/2000 who is not, it like me, a migrant from OS/2 .

Maybe one day it will become commercially viable to produce a Linux
version - could that be why BSW acquired it? - I certainly can't see how
any money can be made out of the OS/2 or Windows versions.