Any Questions about or Suggestions for the next release?

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:22:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:00:13 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Tuesday, August 31, 1999, 7:48:42 AM, Agents wrote:
>> 2. More multithreading. The developers need to test the system on a slow
>> computer, i.e., 66 MHz 486, and under normal operating conditions, i.e.,
>> folders with large numbers of messages in them, and add multithreading
>> wherever things take more than 0.1 s to complete, i.e, the common decision
>> point for whether to add multithreading or not. It is not acceptable to use
>> 200 MHz+ Pentium as a benchmark machine.
>
>    "...and add multithreading wherever things take more than 0.1 s to
>complete..."
>
>    I don't know about you, but from where I sit, that sounds like a reference
>that whenever things are going too slow, just throw threads at it and, hence,
>shorten the time it takes for the task to complete.

No, it's a reference that, whenever things take too long in the input
queue, you're supposed to throw a thread at it so that the user
interface comes back in a responsive manner.

Standard OS/2 guideline.  PMMail and PMINews don't always follow the
guideline.