Feature wish

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:34:52 -0700

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:15:01AM +1100, John Angelico wrote:
> I trust that this is really a flippant comment not to be taken seriously...?
> :)

    No, it was meant to be taken seriously.  Email is not the place for large
files.  The only reason to split up a file is to defeat any limits imposed by
the SMTP servers along the way..  IE, large files.

    Email was designed for human communcation.  One person to another.  FTP,
File Transfer Protocol, was designed to trasnfer files.  Funny that.

    Many FTP clients today on several platforms have bandwidth limiting,
auto-restarting, auto-resuming, etc.  It is the proper and correct way to move
a file from point A to point B.

    Quick quiz, what is the size guarenteed by the RFCs to be delivered?
64k.  Anything beyond that is at the whim of the SysAdmins along the route of
that message, whatever it may be.