Feature wish

Carl S. Hayes pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:34:55 -0500

Your comment contains the problem.  As you know the way it
was intended, the sad part is that there are not many who do.

As a result, without the 'mass media' in the technical news
providing information about the intended limits of email and
without a better understanding of FTP and the knowledge
and resources needed to use it . . . it goes right over the top
of most readers head.

Until a method of sending files via FTP (or what ever it to
follow) is incorporated into current and future email programs
the current practice will continue.  I can still remember setting
at a 'silent 300' as the 'thermo-printer' printed line after line of
a message, that when printed would extend down the hall of
the 'B ring' in the Pentagon.  This was during the early '80s
and nothing has really changed.

If "WE" really care about the services that we are using, but
are content to know that some where along the line the Internet
(as we know it) will gain speed and over-come the problems in
sending LARGE attachments with email, nothing will really change.

All you have to do is look at the 'broad-band' cable problem that
isn't a problem as long as only a few people have this type service.
Load up with users and the same think is going to happen with cable
as we see now with 'modem dial-up'.

Address the problem, PROVIDE A SOLUTION (like how to use FTP
to transfer the LARGE attachments), provide the tools (make it part of
email programs (PMMail for starters)), and we will make progress.  Just
talking about it, without a solution, will accomplish nothing.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Carl