Death Knell for OS/2 Client

Tim Erickson pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:24:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:13:11 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:43:45 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>
>>osted by Roblimo on 09-17-99 10:30 AM PST
>>from the slowly-gasping-its-last-breaths dept.
>>
>>markhb writes "I hate to be the one to submit this story, but the end may
>>finally have arrived for the OS/2 client.
>
>OS/2 is dead????  Wow, that's an original idea!  If IBM had provided
>quarterly updates and drivers and bug fixes for OS/2 then it would
>still be miles ahead of most of the other client os's and I'd still be
>using it and still running my company with it and... Hey!  Wait a
>minute -- they did and I am! <g>
>
>Ralph Cohen
>
>rpcohen@neurotron.com
>PMMail/2 2.00.1500
>Warp 4 + FP10

I agree. I believe IBM is playing a waiting game. If M$ prevails at DOJ then we may
have something to worry about, but if the DOJ forces M$ to play fair then I expect to see
IBM roll out something new. It may not be called OS/2, and it may not be WSOD, but it
will run Win32 and be a viable operating system and we will recognize it for what its
heritage is.

Tim

tjerick@ibm.net
I have updated my public key. Check your favorite keyserver for my public key.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
--Tacitus (A.D. 55)