SMTP Not Working

Paul Ratcliffe pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:20:05 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:14:47 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Klunky?  How so?  Given the choice I'd much rather have a
semaphore file
>than some esoteric interprocess signal.

Why? What do you gain? If you want to signal something, use a
semaphore... a named event semaphore in this case. Why use a file to to
this? Files are for storing data.

>I dunno, something about the fact
>that I work on large networks where the only common ground between two
>machines is the file system.  :)

Depends what sort of network and whether they are running dissimilar
operating systems. As we were talking about 2 processes on 1 machine,
using this technique is just... well klunky fits perfectly.