SMTP Not Working

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:10:56 -0700

Tuesday, September 28, 1999, 1:20:05 PM, Paul wrote:
> Why? What do you gain? If you want to signal something, use a
> semaphore... a named event semaphore in this case. Why use a file to to
> this? Files are for storing data.

    Well, unless you're in the unix environment where everything is a file.
;)

> Depends what sort of network and whether they are running dissimilar
> operating systems. As we were talking about 2 processes on 1 machine,
> using this technique is just... well klunky fits perfectly.

    The assumption your making is two processes on the same machine.  The
author (and I, for that matter) is making the assumption that you may not
always be on the same machine or the same OS.

    So if the program in question is running on OS/2 with me on a Windows box
across campus with both mounting a samba mount I can have the program do what
I want without worrying about it.