Another suggestion for next release

John Thompson pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:26:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:00:01 +0200 (CEST), Alexander Sarras wrote:

>> Tuesday, September 28, 1999, 12:07:49 PM, John wrote:
>> > Speaking of linux, wouldn't it be great of 'they' would port PMMail to
>> > linux. I'm dying for a decent email client to run on KDE or Gnome.
>>
>>     It would.  However, I don't know if the current crop of users would really
>> take to it.  First, it would be proprietary.

>As an OS/2 user of quite a long standing now, AND a Linux user (and part
>time admin. ;-}) I'd buy it at once. Got a lot of proprietary commercial
>software running on my Linuxbox. VMWare, Linuxcad, ... not so much though
>as on my OS/2 machine which is still my fav. ;-)

A year or so ago the issue of a linux version of PMMAIL was broached but
Bob and Ike dismissed it because they felt the linux community is too
accustomed to getting things for free and porting PMMAIL would never pay
for itself.

I think enough has changed inthe last year and the existence of more and
more commercial packages for linux has demonstrated that developing for
linux *CAN* pay the bills.

Linux would really benefit from a mail client like PMMAIL.  There's
nothing quite like it for linux at the moment.  My wife has moved almost
entirely from OS/2 to linux now, but the one thing she misses from OS/2 is
(drum roll...) PMMAIL!

John (john.thompson@ibm.net)