PGP: sequencing messages

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:30:59 +0100

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 12:10:32 -0300 (ADT), Trevor Smith wrote:

>>> 1. You won't see it unless you Cc: or Bcc: yourself since it is added
>>> by your mail server and not your personal email client.
>>
>>    Which has been reported, by me, several times, as a /BUG/ in PMMail.
>
>I think we're referring to different things. How is this a bug? Are
>you saying that some RFC says the *client* is supposed to add the
>unique message id instead of the *server*?

Just looked at RFC822, it states that the ID's uniqueness is guaranteed
by the server that generates it. But it is still impossible to know
what the ID was unless PMMail adds it to the outbox copy, not everyone
has logging on their mail server and you will not get this back from
the outgoing server if it is on the ISP's server.

I also remember someone saying that PMMail does not change the ID when
bouncing mail (not sure about forwarding). In these cases, a new ID
should be generated and the old one entered as Resent-Message-ID:

Does PMMail do this correctly? If not *that* is a bug ;-)

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails