PGP: sequencing messages

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 13:47:54 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:30:59 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>Just looked at RFC822, it states that the ID's uniqueness is guaranteed
>by the server that generates it.

Exactly as I thought.

>But it is still impossible to know
>what the ID was unless PMMail adds it to the outbox copy, not everyone

How is PMMail/2 supposed to get this message ID from the server? I'm
not an expert on SMTP, but does SMTP have any facility for sending
back the message ID to PMMail/2? I doubt it.

Once again, please if there is a way that PMMail/2 *should* be
getting the message id from the server at send time, let me know. If
there is, then this failure to do so is a bug. Otherwise, PMMail/2 is
already operating as well as it can.

>I also remember someone saying that PMMail does not change the ID when
>bouncing mail (not sure about forwarding). In these cases, a new ID
>should be generated and the old one entered as Resent-Message-ID:
>
>Does PMMail do this correctly? If not *that* is a bug ;-)

When PMMail/2 bounces a message it leaves the original headers
intact. So the original message id line is still there. Additional
headers are also added to the message (by the SMTP server),
including:

(with a different id string, of course). This ID is unique.

If you bounce the message *again* (i.e. bounce an already bounced
message), no addtional "Resent-Message-Id:" seems to be added. This
may be a bug, but I'm not sure because I've only just noticed it.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6