PGP: sequencing messages

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:11:06 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:29:45 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>Well, PMINews manages to do it Trevor (the ID contains .pminews@<host>
>among other things) :-) I know you don't have the source code for that
>but it should be possible to ask Southsoft for just that bit I would
>have thought.

Hmm... You may be right. ProNews/2 also seems to generate its own IDs
(or it gets them from the server before saving a local copy to hard
disk).

>It should also be possible to generate it based on the machine name,
>time of day, date, name of program, your inside leg measurement, some
>hardware related counter or timer? That's how everyone else has to do
>it, my copy of sendmail or weasel smtp servers can do it. There is no
>way that all the servers on the planet can agree on message IDs, but
>the system seems to work OK.

I guess that's it then. The IDs are just "hoped" to be unique? There
is no set standard or convention that guarantees them to be unique?

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6