PGP: sequencing messages

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:29:45 +0100

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 13:21:05 -0300 (ADT), Trevor Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:16:04 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>I'd never noticed this before Steve, thanks for pointing it out. It
>>does make it hard to trace mail without the sent folder having the
>>most on my OS/2 system since I run an smtp server and this puts in the
>>IDs.
>>
>>Please can this be added to the bug list Trevor.
>
>I still don't understand how this is a bug. How could PMMail/2
>possibly know what unique message id to assign to an outgoing
>message? My understanding was that the message id had to be unique
>across the whole Internet. No?
>
>I'm sincerely asking here. Please fill me in.

Well, PMINews manages to do it Trevor (the ID contains .pminews@<host>
among other things) :-) I know you don't have the source code for that
but it should be possible to ask Southsoft for just that bit I would
have thought.

It should also be possible to generate it based on the machine name,
time of day, date, name of program, your inside leg measurement, some
hardware related counter or timer? That's how everyone else has to do
it, my copy of sendmail or weasel smtp servers can do it. There is no
way that all the servers on the planet can agree on message IDs, but
the system seems to work OK.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails