Message IDs (was Re: PGP: sequencing messages)

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:09:38 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:21:28 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Why?  Didn't you just get this message from the list?  If not, turn on
>"ECHOPOST" on Listar for yourself and you will.  Tada, insta-threading with
>all messages there.
Not sure what you're on about Steve!  Maybe my message was unclear!

I meant an optional tree based thread view - like most
newsreaders do nowadays!

"Why" do I want a threaded view?  'Cos it'd be a convenient usability
feature?!

If listar can alter my mail client code, I'll be really impressed or
worried or both ;-)

A bit beyond the capabilities of filters too, methinks!

>As for non-mailing lists I much prefer TB!'s approach.  CNTL-BACKSPACE
>has it nab the MSGID from the In-Reply-To or References header and search
>for that in the headers of the sent-mail folder.  If found, opens up that
>message which is, tadaaaaaa, the response.

That would be useful too, but on a mailing list there might be
300 replies to a single message - I wouldn't want all 300 opened
up at once!

Simon