Hangs at "Getting number of messages..."

Steve Wendt pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:58:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:53:30 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>How often do you poll the mail server?  I have heard talk
>of problems with some older linux tcp/ip stacks if you poll
>for mail too often (more often than about once every 30s
>ISTR).  I cannot confirm the truth of this!

130s.  As Ralph pointed out, many people have reported this.

I think there are 2 different bugs here:
1) timed fetches sometimes stop for no reason, and will start again
after a manual fetch is initiated.
2) fetches that are interrupted for whatever reason cause all subsequent
fetch attempts to fail (i.e. the subject line).

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
     - Plato (427-347 B.C.)