Have they given up?

Paul J. Christiansen pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:06:22 -0400

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:43:04 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>I refer to the current owners of PMMail.
>
>If they had it wouldn't surprise me . I have been quite unable to figure
>out why they bought PMMail in the first place.

OK, I lurk here just to keep current on PMMail, but I'm also putting my hand up.

At the time it was released for OS/2, it was, by far and away (in my opinion), the best e-mail client on the market for
any operating system.  I left OS/2 two years ago when I could not find drivers support for various things
and decided that my need for these devices outweighed the operating system deficiencies I would
experience by moving to Windows.

I don't upgrade software that is doing what I need, so I'm still using the WIN98 version of PMMail.  I find it very
stable and it does what I need with no fuss or bother.  What ever bugs it might have are not impacting me
in any way that I can perceive in my day to day use.  I am admittedly not pushing its capabilities very hard.

We also use Outlook and Outlook Express in the household and I much prefer the interface to PMMail, although one
could argue the Outlook interface is a ripoff of the PMMail interface.  But then, I use PMMail far more often than
Outlook.  Better the devil you know, I guess.

I have always known that this was an unofficial support forum, but have found the posters here to be eager
to help, debate, etc over the years.  I have a lot of other software where support of any kind is a black hole.  I thank
everyone for taking the time to keep the rest of us current.

IBM had a better fundimental architecture in OS/2, but, as with Micro-Channel, in my opinion, they were solving a problem
technically that most users did not have yet.  And then tried to charge more money for the product.  For most users not
familiar with the long range direction of computing, it was impossible to make the case.   Microsoft was smart enough to
keep IBM on the back end of the support curve for newer application capabilities while they evolved their solutions
to some of the problems IBM already had solved.  Microsoft got a lead in the market, expanded it and delivered solutions
(regardless of how elegant they were/are) just in time to have the market say thanks and buy the product.

Me?  I loved OS/2.  Support?  Thin at best.  Mostly from IBM'ers who did their best from their desks in addition to their regular
jobs.

So, PMMail moved over to Windows.  And I followed and continue to use it.   But, as with anything else, I will leave it too if
someday, the features I need are not there.  Right now, I don't have any needs in that area.

My two cents.....now, back to lurking.\