How to deal with High ASCII (umlauts etc)

Cristian Secara pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 02:48:53 +0300

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:40:44 +0200 (CED), Alexander Sarras wrote:

>Since I have not seen such behaviour I trust this is a PMMail for Windows
>problem only. Anyone seen something like that (except malformed
>non-RC822-conformant messages) in PMMail/2?

I don't think such problem may appear under OS/2 (version).

Reason: OS/2 uses the same codepage from its first version ever, no
matter text box or PM app. The codepages are the same as for MS_DOS.
On the other side, Windows (all versions) uses a different codepage
than for MS_DOS (under Win_xx, a given high-ASCII text will most likely
look different in Notepad than in a DOS box).

Seems to me that the PMMail engine, having its roots in OS/2, works
internally with DOS (OS/2) codepage(s) and makes later the translation
for the outgoing message and/or for the visual interface (difficult to
guess, though). That should explain the (almost) total mess with
anything exceeding 80h ASCII.

Best wishes,
	Cristi