Have they given up?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:41:34 -0700

Friday, April 14, 2000, 7:39:49 AM, Kris wrote:
> Another Microsoft marketing success story. Do you follow this logic with
> other product purchases? Change to an inferior product because it is more
> popular.

    That isn't a marketing success story, that is a sound decision.  I use
Win95 and Win98.  Want to know why?  Because if nothing else Microsoft doesn't
/KILL/ development kits out from under third party vendors!  They don't stop
supporting the platform for /ME/, the individual at home.  I am not a fucking
bank.  I use Windows because, like it or not, you cannot escape this fact, the
applications a lot of people /choose/ to use are only on Windows.  Couple that
with IBM's utter and total /LACK/ of support for OS/2 VARs for the home market
and you understand damned quick that IBM doesn't give a shit about that
market.

    I can't do my finances on OS/2.  I can't do them on Linux either.  I do
them on Windows because IT GETS THE JOB DONE.  No marketing needed there,
bucko.  In that case OS/2 is inferior because IT CANNOT DO IT.  PERIOD.  END
OF DISCUSSION.

> I think every third party developer should be free and unfettered to
> support multiple platforms. Let the better o/s win. :-) The majority of
> Windows users didn't chose their o/s. It was coercively provided to them
> and they are ignorant of better alternatives.

    Too bad IBM doesn't feel that way, huh?