Have they given up?

John Bridges pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:46:35 -0700

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:12:54 -0300 (ADT), Trevor Smith wrote:

>>    You know what I miss the most about WPS?  The fact that all of the colors
>>were configurable independant of one anther.  That's it.  Everything else was
>
>Shrug. Not me.

At first I thought the color control in OS/2 was great, I did a whole theme
based around black backgrounds with neon hi-lites, looked great. But the text
in some buttons and settings dialogs was never visible on a black background.
Then some applications had the same problem, couldn't read their text on a
black background.

I reported it to IBM way back in the OS/2 2.0 days, it went into the bug
database, it might still be there (it was last I checked), it was never
fixed.

Then I had a system crash, there was no way to backup all those system
settings, and it was just too painful to enter them all again, and I was
tired of switching sets everytime I encountered a mystery black button or
dialog. So I gave up.

So I ended up with the default color set.  Same with WinNT, I use the default
except changing the desktop background to the same Blue we had in OS/2.

I guess it was like a lot of WPS features, a nice idea that wasn't improved
or cleaned up as OS/2 progressed (at least in version number).