Have they given up?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:53:11 -0700

Friday, April 14, 2000, 9:46:35 AM, John wrote:
> At first I thought the color control in OS/2 was great, I did a whole theme
> based around black backgrounds with neon hi-lites, looked great. But the
> text in some buttons and settings dialogs was never visible on a black
> background. Then some applications had the same problem, couldn't read their
> text on a black background.

    I never encountered that problem with the WPS as much as with Windows
scheme and, sadly enough, KDE has the same problem.  In the Windows scheme
there are two settings which are actually linked.  In the color scheme I
prefer I'd have white on black (good) and white on gray (bad) because I can't
set window text to one color and button text (I think it is) to another.  As a
result I now have a scheme that is based around black and grays.  Instead of
the /BLINDING/ white (c'mon people, isn't that hard, paper is reflective, a
monitor is projective, white is different on those two) I now use a light gray
(figure about 220:220:220) with black text, a darker gray for the for the 3D
objects, a darker gray for background windows and black for foreground
windows.

> I guess it was like a lot of WPS features, a nice idea that wasn't improved
> or cleaned up as OS/2 progressed (at least in version number).

    Yup.