Have they given up?

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:01:54 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:26:02 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Hey, the reason my Windows box has the Celeron-400 & 128Mb of RAM and my
>Linux box is the P5-100 w/64Mb of RAM...  Half-Life + Counter-Strike, Unreal
>Tournament + Slave Master & Dark Magic (Quake sucks, btw, iD hasn't made a
>decent game since Doom.  Nice engines, though), Homeworld, Chron-X, Stars!
>Supernova (when it is released), etc.

Dude, I played Unreal Tournament for about a month before trying
Quake III. Night and day. I haven't played Unreal Tournament since.

Why? OpenGL I think. Unreal Tournament will only play in a window on
my Matrox G400 16 meg. OpenGL drivers are defective. Quake III is
rock solid most of the time, 1024x768, full screen 16 bit colour and
smooooooooth. (PIII 500, 128 meg ram.)

>    Most people scoff at games, though.  Most don't realize that it is games
>alone that has been driving the /real/ need of faster CPUs and more RAM.

Agreed. On that note, how the hell did you get all those games
running on Linux? If I could just get Quake III running on Linux (Red
Hat 6.2, just installed -- about 4 times in a row -- 2 weeks ago),
I'd be very happy.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6