Have they given up?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:07:15 -0700

Friday, April 14, 2000, 10:01:54 AM, Trevor wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:26:02 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Dude, I played Unreal Tournament for about a month before trying
> Quake III. Night and day. I haven't played Unreal Tournament since.

    I'll say it is night and day.  UT at least has some semblance of gameplay.
Quake III has Carmack's name, a decent engine and netcode going for it.  My
FTP server has great netcode, doesn't make it a game.

> Why? OpenGL I think. Unreal Tournament will only play in a window on
> my Matrox G400 16 meg. OpenGL drivers are defective. Quake III is
> rock solid most of the time, 1024x768, full screen 16 bit colour and
> smooooooooth. (PIII 500, 128 meg ram.)

    UT on my GeForce256 32Mb DDR is smooooth.  In fact, all the games are like
that.  Solid, fun to play (esp. Slave Master and Dark Magic).

>>    Most people scoff at games, though.  Most don't realize that it is games
>>alone that has been driving the /real/ need of faster CPUs and more RAM.

> Agreed. On that note, how the hell did you get all those games
> running on Linux? If I could just get Quake III running on Linux (Red
> Hat 6.2, just installed -- about 4 times in a row -- 2 weeks ago),
> I'd be very happy.

    I'll let you read the following as an explanation.  I think you missed
something.  ;)