Have they given up?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:50:29 -0700

Monday, April 17, 2000, 12:13:34 AM, Marty wrote:
> CheckFree?  Yes.

    Explain.

> Quicken and CSV account downloads?  Yes.

    This is not acceptable.

> Palm sync?  Not from the bank -- use StarOffice.  Personally, I don't
> do this, but I don't see why it would be so hard...

    I use PocketQuicken to Sync with Quicken which, in turn, syncs with the
bank.  No, not an exported CSV, Quicken syncs with the bank.  I press the
pretty little button, 1 minute later all my account information is updated
with no duplicates (like the /one/ time I tried CSV imports).  I sync with the
palm and now all my account information is current there, too.

> The solution?  Originally, I used a dialup interface.  Now, they
> virtually all use --- a web interface!  No compatibility issues
> whatsoever.

    So, you're sitting there at dinner with your two credit cards and your
bank card which has a credit card interface on it (debit card).  You're
debating which credit card has the limit to pay for dinner because you know
you have a few outstanding checks on your bank account and aren't sure where
your balance is exactly, esp. since you put some charges on it earlier this
day.  So, you play the Credit Card Lottery.  Will you win and get cleared!!
Swipe and Win!!!!  Well, you could just pull out your trusty Laptop, ask the
Bud Bundy clone of a waiter if you could borrow a phone line, find the local
access number (did I mention you're out of state?), reconfigure, dial in and
check your balance on your bank account only to find it can't pay for dinner
and you're right back where your started.

    Meanwhile I, next table over, open my Palm, start PocketQuicken, hit
accounts.  Hmmm, bank account won't handle it, Visa is cutting it close, new
Mastercard is looking good.  Look at the bill, flip over to the calculator,
figure tip into the bill, flip back to PocketQuicken, place card in the little
holder for the Kelly Bundy clone of a Waitress to take back to the register,
fill in the info, get slip, sign it, enter transaction, turn off Palm and
laugh at you on my way out as your first card is declined.

    Translation: Web interfaces work only where you have web access.  Got 2
AAA batteries?  Got Palm?  Technology, ain't it grand?  :P